30 FAQs must know about sperm
Almost every pig farm works with boar sperm. However, do we know all the information needed?
- Can you pool semen?
- Yes, you can, but PIC’s decision not to pool semen is based on minimising any associated health risks. Therefore one batch number on your flatpack equals one boar.
- How many sperm reach the fertilisation site?
- Only a very, very, small proportion of sperm reach the fertilisation site (far less than 1%). After the insemination, there is a rapid transport through the uterus and only about 10,000 sperm reach the sperm reservoir in the oviduc.
- Is there a single test that can accurately predict fertility of the individual ejaculates?
- Unfortunately, no. At the moment, we can evaluate several components of sperm quality but not all of them.
- Is the semen bacteria-free?
- How many sperm are in a flatpack?
- Why is PIC GP semen coloured?
- What is the optimal sperm storage temperature?
- What is the shelf life of ready flatpack?
- How to make sure whether sperm is of a high quality?Look for the answers to these and other questions at the full version of the article in the magazine «Profitable pig production» № 36 (№ 6, December 2016)